30 October 2009

Safety never takes a holiday

We live in a sixty year old, one and a half story house. It has six steep and narrow concrete steps up to our front door, steps that - when we first moved in with our little one who was just mastering stairs - made me nervous. They still do, though we're all used to them now. However, tomorrow night, when little costumed ones bound up them with enthusiasm and reduced vision (darkness! masks! wigs askew!) and laden with loot, my worst fear is tripping and tumbling. So, last week when we went to Dan's Farm to choose our pumpkin, I picked up six smaller pumpkins with our front stairs especially in mind.


Day ...

I do have to admit that inspiration for this idea came in part from Ella at Little Red Caboose. One of my favourite Etsy stores and inspiring crafter-aquaintences, Ella and I were both exhibiting at the One Of A Kind Show and on one of her display shelves, she had a beautiful photo showing her wool felt balls tumbling down a flight of stairs with vinyl numbers on each rise, counting the steps up.


Night!

Paired with an orange bulb in our porch light, these glowing orbs will do the safety trick. And did I mention how much Lil R. LOVES counting them again and again. And again. And ... again, just one more time. Ooooh, numbers.

3 comments:

Tall Tree Photography said...

what a great idea! you are so crafty:-)

Molly said...

Oh, that is so very clever (and educational too!). I love it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful idea and beautifully executed.