This afternoon, while Little R. napped, I rearranged the furniture in our living room to create a mini-self portrait studio. On the back of one of my grandmother's teak arm chairs I balanced a buckwheat heat pad (made by my stepmom, the woman who taught me pretty much everything I know at the sewing machine, and who, herself, knows only too well the relief warmth brings to stiff, achy, sewing hands). On the buckwheat heat pad I balanced the camera, (yes, still on loan from my sister), set to self-timer. I aimed the lens at the brick fireplace surround, depressed the shutter release half way to engage the auto focus and then went the distance - pushing the button down full stop, grabbing my cloth ball and darting into position.
I don't know how many trips back and forth I made from fireplace to arm chair, or how many frames I snapped (as you can imagine, there were many shots that required prompt deletion). Somehow, in the mini-sprints, I captured this and I am quite pleased.

Now, I don't usually make it a practice to make self portraits - this is for a bio piece on a new retailers website. I wanted it to be playful and nostalgic and artistic, and done by me. I think it does the trick.
2 comments:
Hey Tressa,
I saw this posted on my friend's facebook wall by a friend of hers. Cool hey?!
xoDev
KP (Vancouver, BC) shared a link
at 10:47am on June 2nd, 2008
Hello lovely soon to be mommy. I went to the Moss St market this weekend and saw this little booth with lovely baby items that I thought you might love!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5087864
I bought my friend's baby one of the little cloth teethers and he loved it! So I think you should add them to your baby registry!
i love it! super cool, pass on my thanks.
Post a Comment